Welcome to the Science Fiction Writers Union of the Republic of Korea.
The Science Fiction Writers Union of the Republic of Korea (SFWUK) is a professional organization for science fiction writers in Korea. Our members include the majority of most prominent Korean science fiction writers.
SKWUK Mission Statement
1. We promote science fiction writers’ rights and freedom of expression.
2. We support various activities by science fiction writers.
3. We show support and solidarity on human rights issues within our organization and in the world in general.
Who We Are
We are a group of professional writers who are currently active in the field of science fiction. Membership is open to writers who meet one or more of the following requirements:
1. Writers who have published one (1) or more full-length science fiction novel for conventional contract and payment or its equivalent;
2. Writers who have published four (4) or more science fiction short stories for market payment or its equivalent;
3. Writers who have self-published or released free of charge more than one (1) full-length science fiction novel, however have earned the equivalent of conventional contract and payment;
4. Writers who have self-published or released free of charge more than four (4) science fiction short stories, however have earned the equivalent of market payment;
5. Writers who have published or released a total of four (4) or more science fiction short stories as stated in Articles Two (2) and Four (4).
6. Writers who have won award(s) in SF-specific competition(s) for full-length science fiction novel(s), novella(s) or short story (stories).
Those who do not qualify as our members include:
1. Those who do not write science fiction in a creative and original manner;
2. Those who have edited science fiction books (novels, anthologies and the like) but have no original writings or their own;
3. Those who have been convicted of criminal behavior in conflict with the Human Rights Regulations of this organization in the past ten (10) years from the date of membership application, or have been officially sanctioned by other organization(s) that they have been affiliated with in the past ten (10) years from the date of membership application;
4. Those who have plagiarized, confirmed by a final and conclusive judgment in court, criminal, civil or otherwise, or by its equivalent, or by self-acknowledgement.
What We Do
Our Union work to safeguard freedom of expression and to ensure a fair contract and rightful payment for all our members. We also respond in solidarity to the human rights violations of our members.
Nurture the Next Generation:
Our Union work to find would-be writers of science fiction and support their growth and development.
Protect Human Rights and Solidarity for Social Movements:
Our Union will not keep silent on human rights violation issues in the society and in the field of literature. Our Union will actively show solidarity and support in these issues and movements.
Provide Opportunities to Grow and Improve:
Our Union regularly hosts creative writing workshops/retreats for members, budding science fiction writers and would-be writers of the future generation.
For a complete list of members, please view the “Members” section. For questions and/or comments please contact:
In Korea) tel. 02-782-1219 or email: email@example.com
Outside Korea) tel. +82-2-782-1219 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org